There is nothing that brings a smile to our face like a pretty ring, a jangly necklace, or some sparkly earrings. Big or small, real or fake, understated or over-the-top, jewelry lifts the spirits. It also lifts a look. Colorful beads or chandelier earrings could be just the thing to make an ordinary outfit outstanding. So, whether you're going to work, out with friends or to a formal event, wearing jewelry can dramatically stylize your look whether you want glamorous, simple, casual or edgy.
How Not To Wear Jewelry
- Excessive matching. One mistake many people make when accessorizing is being too "matchy-matchy"--wearing the same set of earrings, necklaces and bracelets all at once. This look can come off as uninspired instead of fashionable since it doesn't allow for much creativity. Your pieces should 'go together' without looking like they all came in a matching set.
- Too much going on. When wearing a statement necklace, avoid wearing big and bold earrings and vice versa since it takes away from the focal point and distracts the eye.
How to Wear the Right Jewelry with Your Clothes
If you're not sure how to wear earrings, bracelets, rings and necklaces together without looking tacky, start by wearing two pieces at a time - earrings and a bracelet, or a necklace and ring will do. Then work your way up gradually by layering on different pieces if it suits your style.
- By color. Silver is the most versatile jewelry color to wear; it can be casual or dressy. Gold coordinates well with brown hues. It also matches well with white, red, blue, green, purple and other bold colors. It is glam and upscale in style.
- By occasion. Stud earrings and drop earrings are the most suitable for business styles including blouses and blazers. For a casual style, wear hoops, studs and jewelry with a fun color or design accent. For cocktail or party wear, long linear earrings and chandelier earrings along with stacks of bangles are appropriately suitable. Add a cocktail ring and that will complete the look.
- By style. Bib and statement necklaces match well with a lower cut top such as a v-neck shirt or low-cut dress. Long necklaces look great over sweaters and high neckline dresses for the fall and winter season.
Keep it chic. In some instances, loading up on the sparklies is an exciting way to accent. But know when to stop. An armful of bangles, for example, means you should think minimal with your necklaces and earrings.
To add personality to your look, pair streamlined clothes with flirty accessories and vice versa. For example, if your dress is ruffled near the neckline or has a lot of buttons, choose a pair of simple stud earrings. This juxtaposition shows that you can mix and match piece together for a unique perspective...your BELLAVIE.